Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Working Longer" or "Teaching Longer"? That is the query!?

Wall Street Journal, May 15, 2008 on page A2: "There is a lot of happy talk around that we are going to have slowing in the rate of growth in young workers and, therefore,employers are going to want to hire older workers just at the time that older worders are going to want to work," says Boston College economist Alicia Munnell, coauthor of "Working Longer," a book to be published this month by the Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.

I had the opportunity to start teaching in 1945 and I still taught in 2006-2007 when I was an octogenarian to validate the title of the new book:"Working Longer" However,when I am teaching in a class,I feel like having a vacation for my intellect. Consequently,I wish to modify my thought for "Teaching Longer" not "Working Longer" because working is different from teaching and teaching is learning twice. As such, learning is fun and is a vacation for me per se.

Thank you for reading my thoughts and have a great day,everyday! To me,everyday is a day of learning. We live and learn and I am a student forevermore.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao on May 15, 2008

No comments: