Monday, May 18, 2009

Advice for the Class of 2009 at Georgetown University

Former US Senator Chuck Hagle(R-Neb.)gave the five lessons to the graduates,published by the Washington Post,May 17, 2009 on page C6:

The following may be of some value to Georgetown-educated folks as he stressed:

1. "Ethical but not economic or legal. We blow past the ethical boundaries trying to maximize profit, prestige or influence." Adam Smith was a professor of moral philosophy. Ethics can be found in Confucianism as I tried to compare Confucius,Mencius with Plato and Aristotle. Platonic Love is an aphorism.

2. Take risks and seek new experiences. Failure is the mother of success as my motto. I have had experiences in education,business and the government in both private and sectors as my varied background since 1950s.

3. Quest for improvement. "Work and Study Cycle Theory" is designed to have professional development for personal enrichment as a lifelong student with continuing search and research for knowledge and wisdom. www.ask.com for reference.

4. Offer our expertise to the society for giving back to the nation. Ask what we can do for USA in the 21st century as former President John F. Kennedy so aptly stated.

5. The treasures in life are family and friends that we cherish forever.

Francis Shieh aka Xie Shihao,an alumnus of Georgetown Graduate School,Class of 1950,59 years ago. Time goes swiftly like an e-mail as I reminisce the years at Georgetown for my educational opportunity in my heart and my mind ad infinitum.

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 11.50 a.m.

No comments: