Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Mini Page: WashPost,July 20,2008 et al

The XXIX (29th) Olympic Games will begin soon in Beijing, China. I remember my teaching years from 1993-1996 in Beijing. The Games will run from August 8 to 24th and I expect to be in Shanghai from August 7th to August 24th. There are rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline. Rhythmic gymnastics became an Olympic sport at the 1984 Los Angeles Games. I taught in Hollywood,L.A. from 1958-1961. The first modern trampoline was invented in the 1930s in a garage in Iowa. My works entitled "Keys for Economic Understanding" and "Keys to Economic Understanding" were published in Dubuque,Iowa.

Meet Jack Black: The voice of Po in the movie "Kung Fu Panda" Should be "Gongfu" in Pin Yin system of romanization. Jack was born in Santa Monica,California in 1970. I was at the RAND Corporation from 1960-61 and 1964-65 with the publication of my paper entitled "A Glimpse of the Chinese Language" (1965) www.rand.org and www.Amazon.com online book catalog for reference.
My reminiscence ends here with reflections in the past decades.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao,a lifelong student of economics,philosophy,English and Chinese language with focus on Mandarin and Wu dialect(Shanghai)my native city. July 20, 2008

No comments: