Richard Armitage,former deputy secretary of state from 2001 to 2005 and Joseph Nye,former asistant secretary of defense who teaches at Harvard at present. They contributed to an article entitled: Stop Getting Mad,America. Get Smart with the following recommendations:
1. We should reinvigorate the alliances,partnerships and institutions. My comment: China Construction Bank is an alliance with Bank of America.
2. We should create a Cabinet level voice for global development starting with global health for the aspirations of people world-wide. My comment: US and China must work together for mutual benefit re human capital i.e. health is part and parcel of human capital. Cf. "Work and Study Cycle Theory"(1978) listed at Georgetown University online catalog.
3. We should reinvest in public diplomacy and to build people-to-people ties including appropriation to the Fulbright program. My comment: As a Fulbright Senior Scholar in Hong Kong,1989-1990,I do support such program for public diplomacy for US to have scholarly exchanges with China in the 21st century.
4. We should sustain our engagement with the global economy and expand the benefits of free trade. My comment: I have sent my past blogs apropos of the Law of Comparative Advantage in this regard. Secretary of Treasury Henry Paulson,Jr. goes to China on Decmber 12, 2007 with the same intent to promote more activities of trade of two nations.
5. We should take the lead in addressing climate change and energy insecurity by investing more in technology and innovation. My comment: China is alerted to such efforts and is working closely with American counterparts in this regard for strategic conference. As a point of reference, Australia has a dedicated scientist of Chinese ancestry to work for the benefit of Australia in the Pacific and for the entire humanity on global scale.
Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao. December 9, 2007