Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Washington Post, March 16, 2010:To blog is to ponder with fun

Page A12: China trims holdings of US Treasury assets: China retained its spot as the biggest foreign holder of US Treasury debt in January, but it reduced its holdings for a third straight month. China's holdings dipped to $889 billion in January. Japan, the second largest holder cut as well ,settling at $765.4 billion.

Economists say that unless foreign demand for Treasury debt remains strong, the interest rates that the government must pay on that debt could rise sharply, making the US deficit picture look even worse. Keep up the news in the months to come for information.

The impact of the above news provide some inklings about Sino-American Economics in the days to come as my instant reflections. It is the Economy for the Smart folks to learn the happenings as empirical evidence.

Page A18: Hameed Naz wrote a letter to the Editor: Put Economics with the Classics: -

The first blue print lacks a basic ingredient to save the nation from the kind of social havoc we have had lately: ECONOMICS.

Millions of households go into bankruptcy and mortgage delinquency every year in USA. If our children are not taught the fundamentals of economics and the rules, we are throwing them to loan sharks and Ponzi schemers. Reading "The Odyssey" is important, but so is understanding the principles of money management.

I would add Adam Smith as an economist and a moral philosopher with ethics to be relevant to the field of economics as evidenced re human behavior.

Page E2: Happy to be talking i.e. Long-tongued folks may live longer. The more you talk,the more years you can live. If such assumption is validated,teachers will have longevity for certainty.(sic) I started teaching in Shanghai in 1945 and I taught in USA until October 31, 2009 as an octogenarian. Let all folks strive to live to be centenarians with walking, laughter and lifelong learning in the field of economics.

On the light side in comics from reading "PICKLES": The elderly man said:"When I was young,it was my elders who knew all about how things worked and could explain it all to me. I looked forward to someday growing old and wise and being able to explain things to the young kids."

In the computer age,the kid said to his grandpa:"All you do is click here to restart." But the grandpa responded:"Somehow it just didn't work out that way!"

I had the same thought decades ago and I share the same feeling with the grandpa about computer knowhow i.e. I am always a newbie! To live is to learn from others.

Page C6: St. Patrick's Day on March 17th and I express my best wishes to Attorney Joe Crumlish,my dear friend and schoolmate at Georgetown since late 1940s.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao or "Shay,O'Shea" to be Irish for a day tomorrow to kiss the Blarney Stone as I learned such at Georgetown decades ago.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 9.40 a.m.

No comments: