Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sino the season on page A15,Washington Post,3/3/10

Washington Post, March 3, 2010 Al Kamen published "Sino the season" citing 12-day trip for congressional staffers to China, leaving March 30th. The same day I shall leave for Shanghai as a native of Shanghai to visit World Expo in advance. In the past decades,I lectured Economics in China almost every year since 1981 in Shanghai,Beijing,Guangzhou, Hong Kong and other cities as well.

"The idea is to send a group of staffers to China to focus on trade,foreign policy, infrastucture and national security. It is State Department approved under the Mutual Education and Cultural Exchange Act." I support such trip for better understanding via on-the-spot visit to learn the numerous changes in China with reforms.

"A Glimpse of the Chinese Language" is available at www.rand.org free of charge via pdf as public service. "Philosophy of Mencius" is listed at www.loc.gov for cultural enrichment. It would be desirable for visitors to learn the Chinese language and culture for personal enrichment.

The article continues:" Shanghai will be included in the trip and the museum is a place to visit for tourists. There is the section ending in 1946, the period when the British, French carved up Shanghai." I earned my B.A. degree at St. John's University in 1946 and I was born in the former British settlement and lived in the former French concession as a witness of Chinese history.

I came to the United States in 1947 for my graduate studies at the University of San Francisco and Georgetown University Graduate School to publish my thesis on Confucianism with my intent to promote the understanding of the East and the West from my mixed educational background. I started my blogging in 2000 www.Sino-American Economics to keep up with happenings of US-China economics. Ten of my works are listed at the Library of Congress online catalog in the fields of Economics and China studies.

Francis Shieh,Fulbright Senior Scholar, Hong Kong, 1989-1990 on March 3, 2010 at 10.06 a.m.

No comments: