Sunday, September 21, 2008

True wealth: Rich in spirit and blessed with education

Washington Post,Sept. 21, 2006 page F4: What is the most valuable financial advice you learned from your parents?
Rita Cheng is a financial adviser at Ameriprise Financial Services in Bethesda. She wrote: "My father emigrated in the 1960s with ony $17 to his name and the clothes on his back. Even though he was poor in the material and financial sense, he never considered himself poor. His mantra was that financial wealth alone did not represent one's true wealth. He stressed the fact that he was rich in spirit and blessed with his education. The most valuable financial advice that my dad instilled in me was not to define myself by what I have, but rather by my accomplishments and education. He insisted that while money did not buy happiness, it did provide peace of mind, freedom and flexibility. I learned that money should not be the sole determining factor for the decisions I make in life. His financial wisdom and insight have enabled me to adopt a more balanced, holistic approach to financial matter for which I am eternally grateful."

I agree with the above in toto as I have sent my blogs in the past. I am delighted to find such identical mantra: faith,hope and love in this mundane world.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao, a lifelong learner for my economic education with spirituality: To live is to learn everyday with positive blessings. September 21, 2008 at 9.20 a.m.

No comments: