Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Washington Post, July 11, 2007 page A15 The Bliss

The Bliss We Can't Buy: Economist Richard Easterlin pointed out that beyond a certain point - presumably when people's basic needs for food,shelter...are met - greater wealth does not generate more national happiness. Cornell University economist Robert Frank's book, "Falling Behind." HE ARGUES THAT RISING AFFLUENCE CONDEMNS US TO SELF-DEFEATING CONSUMPTION CONTESTS. Greater individual wealth does not bring greater collective welfare. Frank mentions about behavior. I would stress lifestyle of the folks in USA. In Robert Samuelson's conclusion: It is philosophers, not social scientists who provide a deeper understanding of happiness. I have sent my blogs in the past at www.baidu.com and my equation for happiness in a fraction is not material consumption as the numerator over desire only but I would add Intellectual Pursuits,Spiritual Satisfaction and Good Health in the numerator over the denominator of Desire. I lectured about such equation in Shanghai in 1981 and in my classes during the past decades. Food for thought for all readers. Xie Shihao a.k.a. Francis Shieh, an octogenarian economist and philosopher. July 11, 2007 at 3.40 p.m.

No comments: