Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Washington Post,Dec.17, 2008 with reflections to promote goodwill

Page A1 FED cuts key rate to record low to try to arrest a deepening recession. Poll shows broad economic hardship for folks in USA.

With strikes,China's new middle class vents anger. But I found out the prices are coming down for certain items in Shanghai per phone call this morning.

Page A7: New Poll shows 63% are already hurt by downturn of the economy. The unease is most palpable among those with annual family incomes less than $50,000. They are twice as likely as those with high incomes to be very much concerned about maintaining their lifestyles. In this respect,Chinese lifestyle is certainly different from Americans due to custom and tradition with the innate culture of Confucianism. Such culture may be seen in Korea, Japan or Asia in general as I have noticed when I was a tourist there decades ago.

Page D3 Bernard Madoff will appear in a Manhattan court today. He was charged with fraud after telling his sons he had taken $50 billion from invesors.

Such individual case might affect the reputation of Jewish community. But such stereotyped prejudice is certainly unfair and biased. To my recollection,when I was teaching economics decades ago, one student and friend suggested that my last name be changed to Rockefeller in court to gain more respect since Shieh is not well known in US culture. I appreciated his good intention but I said that when folks see me,my face value is not Rockefeller. However,the sound is close to Shay or Shea to be in the mainstream with Irish humor. However again,the spelling of Sheik may have different image. Such cases have been challenged in 2008 when President-elect Obama,a name with unique ancestry,nominated multicultural leaders to show America as a melting pot as evidence to change America to be a better America without discrimination. I support such change wholeheartedly. Perhaps Obama's native State of Hawaii bears more fruits for a multi-cultured USA.

Needless to say,Sino-American Economics will be in the positive range for mutual benefit of cooperation and collaboration in terms of globalization.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao, an octogenarian shares such change for a better America in the years to come. America is different now in comparison with America in 1947 when I came to San Francisco when a boy followed me and called me a chocolate face for fun.

It is to be known that only 8 days until Christmas and we celebrate such religious feast regardless of race,color,creed and age on December 17, 2008 at 10.36 a.m.

No comments: