Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The positive denotatiion Vs the negative connotation

RANDOM THOUGHTS to share with readers:

If it is real frugality,it would be fine and dandy but if it is used in a facetious way,it would mean stingy and miserly. Such thoughts may be applied to many situations in rhetoric expressions.

To some,Chinese language is as difficult as Greek but to the Chinese,it is as simple as ABC. "It is Greek to me" may be interpreted as:"It is Chinese to me!" To the British folks,English is their mother tongue of UK but American English may be American language per se with distinction spoken by Americans with modifications. The Dictionary of the American Language was published in 1970 if I remember right.

To a few,China may be a threat in the East but to the folks with positive insights,China may be a true friend to the West in times of present economic crisis. The East and the West are One apropos of globalization.

It is a matter of perspection and reception and my off-the-cuff remarks end here on December 17, 2008 at 3 p.m.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao trying to practise what I learned in my English class in Shanghai during the first part of 1940s: "With malice toward none but amity towards all." plus the Gettysburg Address ending with " the government of the people,by the people and for the people shall never perish from the earth."

Happy Birthday to Abe Lincoln to follow his maxim. I shall be in Shanghai on the 12th day of February(NOT 1809 with humor) for such occasion if my memory serves me correctly. The new president of the United States shall be inaugurated on January 20, 2009 with changes to see for a better America in the mundane world.

No comments: