Monday, December 15, 2008

Dec.15,1978-Dec.15,2008 Most important for USA-China

Richard Holbrooke,a former ambassador to the United Nations wrote:The Day the door to China opened wide,published by the Washington Post,Dec.15, 2008 on page A21.

The opening with China by Nixon and Kissinger in 1971 is remembered as a historic breakthrough, the most important bilateral relationship in the world today.

I remember when I was a member of the research staff at the RAND Corporation,Kissinger was a Consultant during 1964-1965. I published "A Glimpse of the Chinese Language"(March 1965) www.rand.org for reference. On page 8, I hinted the opening of China for American engagement as my vision to be gradually realized,
yielding the benefit for USA and China.

Economist Richard Moorsteen published "Remaking China Policy" Harvard University Press,1971 with the same vision when he was my colleague and student of Chinese. His book can be searched online and is listed at Foreign Service Institute Library when I was a faculty in 1998-l999.

On page A20,James Lieberman wrote letter to the editor urging US diplomats to have useful knowledge of foreign language for better understanding.

Gazette Community Forum,Dec.11,2008 on page A13 Laurel Lashley suggested the learning of another language besides your own.

During the year 1972,two-way trade was less than $1 billion but today it is a staggering $387 billion annually. I have repeatedly cited the Law of Comparative Advantage for trade in my previous blogs.

Deng Xiaoping became China's paramount leader with the concept of "One Nation,two systems" As a Fulbright Senior Scholar, I delivered a lecture in Hong Kong,February 1990 apropos of conceptual understanding of economics. Such perspective thoughts can be traced online from my prior blogs.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao,a graduate student from China in 1947 with the ideal and idea to see proper Sino-American economics for mutual benefit in terms of globalization. December 15, 2008 at 10 a.m.

No comments: