Tuesday, February 16, 2010

World Expo in Shanghai in 2010 with thoughts from a native

1. The Chinese name of the Bund is "wai tan",the embankment of muddy waterfront. Restaurants,galleries and fashion boutiques are located.

2. Renmin Square was the former site of the race course.

3. The Park Hotel was the venue where my sister was married in early 1940s.

4. Grand Theater used to be the place to see American movies.

5. My family lived in the former French Concession with relatives nearby and they are still living there for more than six decades.

6. My father taught English at the former Anglo-Chinese college for 3 decades. He passed away when I was 7 years young.

7. The Subway Lines No. 1 and No. 2 are always crowded with riders that I encountered many times.

8. The TV are shown in public buses with songs and dances. Special gates are provided for seniors.


9.Confucian Temple is the place to pay respect of learning of a venerable teacher.

10. I started my teaching career in Shanghai since 1945 before I earned my B.A. degree in 1946 at St. John's University in Humanities and Social Sciences.

Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao with reflections of Shanghai,the place of my birth.

February 16,2010 at 6 a.m. Lunar Year Jan.3rd to honor the Tiger,including human tigers on earth in the mundane world. Nobody would impugn.(sic)

No comments: