Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Reminiscing Shanghai in my mind on Jan.3rd Lunar New Year

(Continued from the prior blog) I have been under the influence of Confucius/Mencius since I was a youngster and my paper was published by China Missionary Bulletin(Maryknolls in New York) dated January and February 1951 issues. That is 59 years ago.

My maternal grandma used to take me to visit Jade Buddha Temple when I was a child and my father owned three houses named "The Alley of Three Happiness" on Gordon Road in the British settlement. I visited the place years ago with my sister and the present residents remembered the former owner Zia,Shanghai dialect for Shieh.

For film buffs :Visit Old Film Cafe to check out a famous movie "Fisherman's Song" and the filmmaker(photographer) was Zhou ke,the father- in -law of my daughter. His son became my son-in-law in 1978. That is family history.

On "Dao lun wen hua ming ren jie" a visitor can ask an artist to paint a name in English or Chinese into a miniature glass snuff bottle in a flash for a set price. Such work is truly impressive.

I had my way at Berger King as per the Ad: "You have your way" in Shanghai many times. The cost is less and the berger tastes the same but the ice cream cone is far less expensive.

I also remember President Jimmy Carter announced normalization with China in December 1979 and he promotes cooperation of two nations on both sides of the Pacific as per an interview conducted by Phoenix TV of Hong Kong on February 15, 2010 www.Ifeng.com for reference.

Faith is to believe what we do not see yet; the reward is to see what we believe in the days to come apropos of Sino-American economics in the works for positive ways.

Francis Shieh aka Xie Shihao on February 16, 2010 at Largo Library because Andrews Library is closed today. At 1.52 p.m.

No comments: