Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Goodbye, Tai Shan,the name of a mountain in Shandong Province,China

Washington Post, February 2, 2010 on page C10 Kidspost. I read Kidspost because I am young at heart to be child-like to enjoy life better as my daily MANTRA! To think young is to be young and to be living longer with such mindset. That is my state of mind. I still feel like a grad student from Shanghai,China in 1947. Read below for a letter from a kid: -

Dear Panda, I hope you like it in China. I know that you will like it there. I will miss you when you leave. Signed Lila with a heart in her drawing. Other drawings are published on the same page if you would find time to read all the letters from all the kids to share their love with Tai Shan.

Letter to the Editor on page A16:

"The American prince is leaving for the land of his forebeazrs. His dedicated keepers at the zoo deserve our thanks for their excellent care of him and our sympathies for what must be a heartbreaking parting. His new caretakers in China deserve our thanks for letting him stay here as long as he did and our best wishe. Please take good care of our boy, and find him a nice girl panda. May Tai Shan long serve as an ambassador of goodwill between our two nations." Signed: Ellen Lyon, Camp Hill, Pa.

I do share such feelings as a former Fulbright Senior Scholar in Hong Kong, 1989-1990 for cultural exchange between USA and China with my mixed background. However, I have not had the treatment as Tai Shan has had at the zoo. Moreover, I like sugar cane and Tai Shan loves his bamboo sticks. Hehehahahoho all the way and we shall strive to live to be centenarians.

Francis Shieh aka Xie Shihao with thoughts in the light vein on Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 11.08 a.m.

No comments: