Tuesday, January 1, 2008

NEWSWEEK,Dec.31,2007 special issue on China

The future belongs to China in the cover for the Headline with a positive scenario regardless of the disparity of the rich and the poor. Yao Ming,the Shanghai native is on the cover as the pride of China's contribution to NBA sports. In economics, To shift the Lorenz Curve to the diagonal is not yet in evidence at present. However,"Foreign Affairs" magazine has an article to praise the recent emphasis of the laws as the right course of action to solve such problems with enforcement. That remains to be seen in the days to come. Let's wait and see.
Retrospect of an octogenarian from Shanghai as my reflection for 2007 on New Year's day, January 1, 2008.
In the history of modern China,several authors such as Ba Jin, Guo Mo-rou, Xu Zhi-mo, Lu Xun settled in Shanghai, a city primed to support a literary revolution. Shanghai had produced poets for centuries and my parents gave me the name "shihao" to mean hero of poety in name only. But I am not a poet at all. However,I do possess the sentiments of poets i.e. "haoqing" in Pin Yin. The Westerners spread the ideas through missionary schools and universities. I happened to attend Gonzaga College and St. John's University in Shanghai in 1940s in the 20th century. I had to struggle with the old culture of the traditional literati and encountered the new culture of the West with fermented imbibition.
Ba Jin's "Jia" i.e. Family and related books entitled Spring plus Autumn were the must reading for students in China and I shared such opportunity as a teenager. During the period,the novel in the vernacular, rather than classical Chinese became vogue. I have observed that young folks in China are in favor of such changes.
Guo Mo-rou's works were inspired verses: Earth, my mother;The skies already brighten with the early dawn; You arouse the child at your bosom; Now I clamber upon your back; Earth, my mother. My version off the cuff would be:
Heaven, my father; The ground zero maybe zero in on;9/11 provided us with profound concern; all mortals must leave this mundane world;Heaven, my father.
Xu Zhi-mo wrote of love, ideals and freedom. The world needs love for all human beings on earth. Peace and economic development are the guidelines for China.
Lu Xun's "The True Story of Ah Q" which lampooned Chinese character and culture, I would facetiously support such character with some reservation as a way of life.
Francis Shieh a.k.a. Xie Shihao on New Year's Day,January 1, 2008.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

I'm curious...what do you think about the following statement from Newsweek author Fareed Zakaria?

"Some scholars and policy intellectuals (and a few generals in the Pentagon) look at the rise of China and see the seeds of inevitable great-power conflict and perhaps even war. Look at history, they say. When a new power rises it inevitably disturbs the balance of power, unsettles the international order and seeks a place in the sun. This makes it bump up against the established great power of the day (that would be us). So, Sino-U.S. conflict is inevitable."

It seems to me that China's trade with the US seems to be where the exchange of conflict will start. I wonder whether China will be adversely affected by US consumer product recalls, especially in light of the recent Chinese manufactured toy recalls the US has experienced this past year.