Monday, April 13, 2009

Sinno-American Friendship since I was in High School

Reflection Today: I attended an American high school(Gonzaga College) in Shanghai in early 1940s and graduated from an American university with B.A. degree in 1946. However,I lived under Chinese cultural influence in Shanghai until I came to the United States in 1947.

Such background has shaped me to sustain Sino-American friendship since my formative years to date. The friends who have come to my life stay with me forever and they have lodged in my memory. The connection remains in my heart as if protected in a time capsule. That bond will stay strong for the whole of my life. By the same token, I have reason to believe that USA and China are friends to cooperate in global issues in the 21st century.

Eleanor Roosevelt said: "It is a curious thing in human experience, but to live through a period of stress and sorrow with another person(or nation) creates a bond that nothing seems able to break.

Plato said: "Friends have all things in common."

Confucius and Mencius had similar or identical thoughts about friendship.

I tried to synthesize Greek and Chinese thoughts in globalization as shown in my humble work listed in the Library of Congress in 1950.

Francis Shieh aka Xie Shihao on Monday,April 13, 2009 at 6.38 a.m.

No comments: